In a desperate attempt to focus more on the positive than the negative, my daily journal now as a new category. At the end of the day, I write “my favorite thing today was…” and answer the question. What I’m going to attempt to do is round up the best entries on Sundays and compile them into my favorite things this week.
- There’s a show on Netflix Nordic called The World’s Most Extraordinary Homes (check your Netflix region for availability). A man and a woman travel around the world looking at, well, extraordinary homes. The downside is that there are only 4 episodes. The upside is that they hit 3 or 4 homes per episode.
- While I do have to wrestle with my workaholic tendencies, there is something satisfying about sleeping late when you’re sick. You give yourself permission because you really don’t have any choice. I always sleep really well when I’m sick, which is an upside to an otherwise bad situation.
- I bought some new gel pens this week at Flying Tiger, the upscale Danish dollar store chain. This is not a promoted post, it just makes me happy that they hit that rare combination of “working well” and “being inexpensive”. Good gel pens plus day planner/journaling equals happiness.
- Katie and I went out for pizza on the same day we went to the Tiger. Pizza and gel pens and quality time with my wife? Pinch me! I’m just happy to get out of the house, especially with being sick and having so many deadlines. Simple pleasures are the best.
- Christmas is over, which is satisfying because we had a very lovely holiday season. The days are getting longer, the quality of the sunlight is stronger, and we’re ready to move on from the Yule season.
- While we were sick we lost a day to binge-watching the first season of Leah Remeni’s documentary series Scientology and the Aftermath. While what has happened to so many people isn’t my favorite thing by any means, and the series itself can be a bit uneven, the fact that people are choosing to light a candle rather than curse the darkness is uplifting.
Those are my favorite things of the week. Come back next Sunday for more! You can subscribe at the bottom of the page to be notified by email when I make new posts!