If you read any of my posts over the past week, you know that I’ve been introspective. My anxiety is starting to creep back. Life is good, though! I’m getting work done and having some fun! Here are my favorite things this week, 14 January 2018.
- While I try to keep snark and negativity out of this list as much as possible, I was amused by the person — who although he admits he has never been outside of the United States — explaining to me what Finnish winters were like. I’ve only been through four of them, if you include the one I’m looking at outside my window as I’m writing this. Clearly I don’t know what I’m talking about.
- The two most entertaining accounts on Twitter right now are @MoonPie and @ChurchofSatan. They’re both witty, they both troll stupid people, and I honestly never thought I’d want anything to do with either one of them.
- I cannot recommend the comic book Paper Girls enough. There a 3 volumes out right now, with the 4th due in April. A lot of people will tell you that it’s like Stranger Things, but they’re not giving this its due. It begins with four girls on bikes, delivery newspapers on a morning after Halloween in the 1980s. After that, it turns into one of the wildest rides, and one of the most thought-provoking pieces of science fiction, that I’ve ever seen in comics. The lead characters are fantastic.
- While I’d seen a few episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee before, having them all on Netflix now is convenient. The premise is brilliant in its simplicity. In each episode, Jerry Seinfeld drives a different classic car. He goes and picks up some funny person. They drive around talking, and end up at some coffee shop where they talk some more. It’s not a talk show. There’s no interview. It’s literally comedians in cars getting coffee. The episodes are short, and strangely relaxing to watch. They’re good mind candy when I need a break.
- I’m slow to discover new bands, especially ones that aren’t that new and have been around for over a decade (almost two!). Check out The Avalanches video for “Frankie Sinatra“.