This is the weekly status update for Simplify, Create, Thrive, the blog of Berin Kinsman. It’s not technically a newsletter, but I’d rather you subscribe to the blog for email updates than have you redundantly sign up for two things. I’m going to publish this every Sunday at around 3pm EST.
The Newsletter: 6 January 2019
This thing needs a name. Working on the content was a higher priority than brainstorming what to call it. I figure if Adam Savage can continue to call his podcast “Still Untitled”, I can go minimalist and just call this “Newsletter” for now. If you have suggestions, leave them in the comments below.
On a side note, I’m also also “RPG blogging” again at Dancing Lights Press, and doing a similarly-formatted weekly newsletter there as well.
Thanks and Gratitude
Most people save this for the end, but I want to do this at the start because I’m so poor at it. I might not do this every week, but I think I need to do it more frequently than I have in the past.
- I want to thank Daniel for being a fellow traveler and helping me to work out a lot of things, personally and professionally.
- I want to thank Stefan for being a sounding board, for always being supportive, and for calling me on my crap when necessary.
- I want to thank Terhi and Hannamari for contributing generously to the cause.
- I want to thank everyone who leaves comments fairly regularly — in no particular order, Megan, Bob, David, Veronika, as well as Daniel and Stefan.
- And last but not least, I want to thank Katie, whose presence is all over these pages even when I haven’t mentioned her by name.
Status: January 2019
A new monthly status post went up on 1 January. I’ve decided that I’m going to update it weekly, in conjunction with the release of this newsletter post. They’re separate things, but they dovetail compliment each other nicely.
2019 Plans Series
This week I posted a 4-part series on my plans for 2019. I did it partially to provide context for things to come over the coming year, and partially to hold myself accountable. It’s part of my effort to be a genuine human being on the blog, to be less fearful of expressing myself, and to take a step toward building a community with my readers.
- 2019 Plans: Simplify, Create, Thrive
- 2019 Plans: Dancing Lights Press
- 2019 Plans: Business Growth
- 2019 Plans: Stay in Finland
My initial idea was to do a “12 Days of Christmas” series from Christmas Eve through Epiphany. It was an attempt to get me blogging on a daily basis. By that time I’d already been blogging consistently, so “blogmas” became sort of unnecessary. I decided to put the blog into blogmas and write about blogging instead. The results, in my opinion, were mixed, but I think it was still a good effort.
What I do think I accomplished was communicating why I’ve been so skittish about blogging these past, oh, 10 years or so. You now know why I’ve been weird, why I want to get over myself, and have a general idea of what I’d like to turn this space into going forward.
- Blogging in the Age of Social Media
- Why I Love Blogging
- Why I Hate Blogging
- Create Your Own Blogging Goals
- Things That Made Me Cautious About Blogging
- Blogging and Media Consumption
- Blogging and Concentration: Finding Focus
- Blogging and the Ikea Effect
- My 10 Rules for Blogging
- Blogging Burnout and Knowing When to Quit
The weekly podcast thing continues. The only change is that I shut down the Patreon. We normally record on Saturday and release new episodes on Sunday. It’s just Katie and I having a conversation over coffee.
Next week we’ll release Part 2 of Art as Experiment on the podcast. I’m going to do an episode about my business after that, but we may take a week in between to talk about something light and fluffy, rather than overwhelm you with chatting about our creative processes.
Blog posts for the rest of the month are going to focus on introducing, or reintroducing, myself. The theme is going to be who I am and who I want to be. I’ve already posted the first few installments, but will begin gathering links in next week’s newsletter.
How You Can Help
I’ve been running this at the bottom of recent posts. Going forward, I’m only going to add this to the newsletter, the soon-to-be-overhauled About page, and select posts where it seems appropriate. I don’t want to overwhelm you with “gimme gimme” messages.
- Share – Let other people know what I’m up to! Pass it along on social media, on your own blog, vlog, or podcast, through email, whatever works for you!
- Subscribe – On the sidebar (if you’re on a computer) or at the bottom of the page (on a tablet or phone) you can get sign up to be notified when new posts go up!
- Buy a Book – I’ve got tons of bestselling titles for tabletop roleplayers and creating writers available. If that’s your thing, tell someone who might enjoy it!
- Buy Me a Coffee – We don’t have a Patreon, but if you want to contribute to the cause on a one-time or ongoing monthly basis, you can. Check it out!
- Give Me Feedback – Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!