April 30 2020: Where the hell did this month go? March felt like a decade, but April feels as if I blinked and missed it. The combination of isolation and depression has created some sort of weird time dilation effect. I need to create more day-specific rituals, to go along with Pizza Friday and Sunday Brunch, to differentiate one rotation of the Earth from another.
Minimalist Kitchen Thoughts
I wanted to make a comment about my minimalist kitchen. Someone asked me about my wholesale rejection of microwave ovens. Not for any weird conspiratorial reasons, but because I have a small kitchen and the counter space is better used for other things.
I also don’t have a stand mixer, a food processor, a blender, a coffee maker, or a toaster. I mix and chop everything by hand. Coffee is made in a French press, and I make toast in the oven by putting sliced bread on a baking sheet. It’s not a big deal, it just takes a little bit of extra time.
We are so spoiled by convenience. We have forgotten that there are ways to do things, and that we are capable of doing them. I’d think that, collectively, we’d have all learned that lesson when we started baking our own bread.
April 30 2020
- If you get anything out of these blog posts, consider buying me a coffee. The money goes toward rent and groceries, to offset the time spent blogging instead of doing paying writing work. And please, leave comments, share with other people on social media, and help to spread the world.
- This week I’m avoiding the outside world by writing about my favorite professional wrestling promotions. Don’t worry, this isn’t going to become a full-time wrestling blog.
- Wrestling is not fake. It is choreographed and the outcomes are predetermined, just like your favorite scripted televisions shows, action movies, and music video dance routines.
- I am checking email and Twitter DMs twice a day, once after lunch and once after dinner EEST (UTC +3).
- The majority of my time is spent writing and reading.
- Current work in progress: DoubleZero, which I’m blogging about on the company site.
- Currently reading: I’m taking an interlude from Agnes Grey to re-read Seth Godin’s Tribes. Since I’m blogging about DoubleZero in the hopes of expanding that audience / my customer base, I can use a refresher.
- Currently watching: It’s Thursday, so it’s AEW Dynamite. Netflix Nordic also just dropped all 5 seasons of Samurai Jack, and 9 seasons of Robot Chicken, so those will be used as periodic mood-lighteners.
- Today is Day 45 in isolation.