May 1 2020: I’ve been here for 6 years, and I still feel the need to explain to my American readers that today is a holiday for much of the world. It’s May Day, or Walpurgis night. It’s called Vappu in Finland, and it’s one of the four major holidays here along with Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, and Midsummer. A celebration of spring. You drink sparkling wine, a low-alcohol mead called sima, and eat funnel cakes. Well, in other years you do those things. This year most of that stuff has been cancelled.
It’s also International Workers Day. What Labor Day was supposed to be in the United States. So let’s celebrate the working class today, especially those essential workers who ensure that we have food to eat, that our trash is picked up, and so many other services that we take for granted.
May 1 2020
- This week I’m avoiding the outside world by writing about my favorite professional wrestling promotions. Don’t worry, this isn’t going to become a full-time wrestling blog.
- Wrestling is not fake. It is choreographed and the outcomes are predetermined, just like your favorite scripted televisions shows, action movies, and music video dance routines.
- I am checking email and Twitter DMs twice a day, once after lunch and once after dinner EEST (UTC +3).
- The majority of my time is spent writing and reading.
- Current work in progress: DoubleZero, which I’m blogging about on the company site.
- Currently reading: I’m taking an interlude from Agnes Grey to re-read Seth Godin’s Tribes. Since I’m blogging about DoubleZero in the hopes of expanding that audience / my customer base, I can use a refresher.
- Currently watching: I’d like to start Ozark, which I have not seen any of yet. But I’ve also been in the mood to re-watch The Sandbaggers, because dry Cold War spy stuff is my jam. In a complete shift from those darker tones, I’ve also had an itch to rewatch Gilmore Girls.
- Today is Day 46 in isolation.